Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Art and the perils of time off for good behaviour.

I find I have three whole days at my disposal. Three days of not fretting and twitching and glaring at the computer screen. Three days of waking up when I like and not needing to be right here, poised and ready, swearing and drinking coffee like it's rum.
Plus it's sunny!
Shouldn't I be happy about this?
I probably should, indeed I am pleased, but because I am a masochist if always find myself deeply perturbed and out of sorts when I have nothing pressing to do. So to this end I need to organise myself, lest I go stark raving nuts or start watching day time TV.
I have today sorted, as soon as my bland breakfast of wheataflakes- the bastard foodchild of wheatbix and cornflakes- digests, I am taking myself and 10 litres of Honeydew weather shield emulsion off to the paramour's pappy's house to paint the garden walls and what not (honeydew looks suspiciously like primrose to me, but apparently they don't call colours old fashioned names like primrose any longer, this according to the cheery and incredibly stoned chap in Atlantic Homecare)
This burst of manual labour will take up most of today. So terrific. That still leaves Thursday and Gingerday to fill. So any suggestions?
If YOU had two days at your disposal, two WHOLE days filled with nowt, what would you do?



Also I have bought art! If you haven't already trundle on over to here and take a gander. Yellow Face is mine, mine I tell you and what a fabulous face it is. Many thank to Sam Bride for mentioning it on her blog, or I'd never have known, so I'm sharing the love. No harm in supporting each other now is there.
Right more coffee and then onwards, to paint in the sun. Huzzah!

Labels:

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nip down to the local shop and see if they have any copies of the Sunday Business Post left, it has lots of things to do. Cool things. I am going clay pigeon shooting tomorrow. There are lots of other things to do listed.

Also, the paintings are nice me likies.

Nonny

10:54 a.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

He's very good isn't he? Right-ho, off to paint I go. Stay sunshine, stay.

11:02 a.m.  
Blogger Rusticissimus maximus said...

Hmm, one of those paintings was of my home town; what's more it made the place look good!!

11:21 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

2 whole days in the sun, hmmm? I'd most likely grab a few of the sheep and rent a cottage by the beach, but within walking distance of a local pub, obviously.

12:26 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

FMC, sounds like a case of Displeisure - as outlined last Saturday in The Guardian mag in the Wyse Words section.

Displeisure:
"The tyranny of unfocused recreation - a day off work, or from wrangling the children, that feels so long-awaited and precious that, when it arrives, you end up being paralysed with stress about the most fruitful way to use the time. So you do nothing, or just go back to work in order to relax."

12:39 p.m.  
Blogger Andraste said...

Oh what WOULDN'T I do with two whole days to do whatever I like...

First, I'd get the house cleaned and organized, then I'd work out like a MANIAC, then I'd do some gardening, then I'd read a bit, then I'd have a good old fashioned cocktail hour starting at 4. And then I'd watch a game or something.

The next day, I'd wonder why i felt dizzy, and then realize I forgot to eat the day before. Then I'd eat something and try to find a friend to go have drinks with. Or go book shopping or something.

2:27 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My days are choppy with duties. I have 20 minutes to an hour or so here and there - not long enough to get into a book or start something else so I use them to blog.

I'd go for a day-long walk if I was at home and not likely to get burnt to a crisp/soggily over-heated.

Here I'd cook and bake and freeze stuff all day so even on those days I'm tired and can't be arsed pulling bowls and stuff out to cook, there's a meal all ready and waiting for the kids that just takes a few buttons pressed on the microwave to sort out. My freezer's been a bit bare of that lately so I reckon I'd do that. Doesn't sound very exciting but it's worth the day spent for those frazzled, hurried times I just would rather not cook but the kids need something substantial.

3:01 p.m.  
Blogger James McInerney said...

Surely it is going to take the entire time to digest the wheataflakes?

I would spend the time painting...but not walls.

3:04 p.m.  
Blogger Megan McGurk said...

Go shopping!
Have a wine soaked lunch after.
Lounge around with a book.

4:45 p.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

I am slighty paint splattered and slightly sun burned, but I am going for a shower and then I'm going for a pint. Manuel labour is thirst making.

4:54 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd love to spend a whole day visiting Sissinghurst to see the famous white gardens by Vita Sackville West. I will do it one of these days. If I was in Ireland, I would spend a day walking and chilling on the lovely dunes at Brittas Bay, complete with rug and picnic.

5:06 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When the weather's like this I think you should just wine-down.

5:20 p.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

mmmm pints of alcohol are GOOD after manuel labour.

7:28 p.m.  
Blogger Megan McGurk said...

I'm jealous since I'm off the damn hooch until I get this damn thing written.
Sniff.
What a lovely DIL you are by the way, to do that.

10:38 p.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

The man cooks yorkshire puddings and mushy peas for me, it's the least I can do.
Don't worry darling, sans drink is totes the way to go when under the cosh, I do it all the time when up to my tits. I'll be back on the dry next Monday, but until then, yowza.

11:32 p.m.  
Blogger Pat said...

Time lies heavy on my hands too. I have to make lists to stop myself falling into a Slough of Despond. Routine is the answer for me and then occasionally I can break free.
Be prepared : it get smuch harder when every day's a holiday. Ther's always the garden praise be.

8:25 a.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

In fairness Pat, I could spend eight hours a day for a week in my garden and I'd still only make it presentable. You should see the bushes at the moment. a week of sun has sent them into hyper grow.

9:04 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home