Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Dublin City Marathon 08.

Good morning, and a hearty ye-ouch to you all. I won't lie to you, there really isn't anywhere that does not hurt on my body this morning. Nothing major, just achy muscles. Getting out of bed was interesting, getting out of this chair should be interesting. Going up and down steps should be VERY interesting.
And yet- despite the pain- I'm feeling pretty darned good. Yesterday was terrific and despite the fact that I am lacking any new gears, I managed somehow to knock 18 minutes of last year's time. Brilliant day too, the weather- which I was worried was about- was gorgeous. Bright and sunny, with very little wind. It was perfect Autumnal day and ideal running conditions. The organisers did themselves proud. Once again the crowds that lined the way were truly generous. I slapped the hand off many a child.
It was a different run to last year too, the hills surprisingly I found no trouble at all, which I believe is down to a combination of kickboxing and squatting. There is no doubt my legs are much stronger than last year. I met Country Gay and his dog near the half way mark and that was during the long haul from Rialto to Kimmage. It's not steep that part, but it is a incline that lasts for about two miles. Bit tiring, so it was great to meet him.
I didn't hit any wall, but the last two miles were tough going. I was being chaffed by my sports bra and my legs were tired. However I poodled on and crossed the line with a big 'huzzah!'
Then I collected my blue medal, had a quick look for Aisling, but the baggage area looked busy and unless she was wearing a grey hat, I couldn't see her.
Some minutes later I met the paramour who whisked me off for a much needed pint. Nom nom.
There was was one dark spot yesterday, and that was the amount of runners out who clearly were not prepared for that distance. And they were mostly young men, in their twenties. At the 16 mile mark you could see a lot of young guys in distress, hobbling and looking seriously under pressure or completely cramped up. 16 miles is a horrible place to be that banjaxed, faced with 10 grueling miles there's not really anything to do but dig deep and go forwards. But I know a lot of those guy -if they managed to keep going- must be in ribbons today.
26.2 miles is no joke. It's doable of course, but you've got to give it the respect it deserves. The paramour and I were talking about what I saw and we reckon those young lads are probably fit young lads who play some kind of sport on a regular basis, and thought that with minimal training they could do the marathon. But playing football or rugby or whatever while excellent for fitness is no substitute for time spent running. You just can't expect to get away with it and it must be really horrible to put your body through that kind of trauma. I mean some of these chaps were absolutely fucked.
Anyhoo. I've got breakfast to attend to. Thank to everyone again for all the terrific support, it mach a difference you know, it really really does.

Labels:

32 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats FMC - only 363 more sleeps to the next one.

Did any charity benefit from your epic achievement?

10:37 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well bloody done.

I spent an hour and a half on Nassau Street willing in runners the last few hundred yards. Looked for you but didn't spot you and eventually it was painful just looking at some of the contorted faces.

11:04 a.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

Cheers BA. No to the charity, I always run the shorter 10ks or charity but not the marathon.

11:04 a.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

Cheer Eolai! Nassau street is amazing, the cheering and the support really helps on that last little bit.

11:06 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats FMC!
I was one of those twentysomething runners on the 1/2 marathon before - learnt my lesson very quickly.

11:23 a.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

It's just looked so painful Sheepie, and with a further 10 miles to go I cringed for them.

11:29 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

congratulations

11:47 a.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

Thank you.

12:07 p.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

Well done, Missus. Bravissima!

12:19 p.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

Verra kind of you old boy, now if someone would just come over to mine and help me out of my chair...

12:31 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done! Peeling 18 minutes off your last attempt is nothing to sneeze at! Here's hoping your toenails are in better shape than last year...

12:47 p.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

Thanks Grims, I'm delighted with the improved time, I really am. I cut my nails really short the night before but even with that I think I'm going to lose the nail from the second tow on my right. It's a delightfully shade of indigo this morning.

1:26 p.m.  
Blogger Megan McGurk said...

You don't need to get up after kicking ass yesterday and peeling 18 minutes off your time last year.
Have a nice sit, FMC.
You've earned it.
Congratulations!

1:45 p.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

Thank Medbh, it was a good feeling all right, afterwards. I'm not too bad today when I'm moving about, but every time I sit down for any period of time I seize up. You would have laughed if you'd seen me trying to get dressed. Who knew putting on bots was soooo difficult.

1:48 p.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

I just remembered! There was a soldier running yesterday in full army gear, complete with boots, helmet backpack and various things strapped to his body. I wonder how he got on? Can't imagine how difficult that must have been. And that amazing one legged chap who ran the entire course on crutches, I saw him warming up. Amazing, truly amazing.

1:55 p.m.  
Blogger daisy mae said...

Yay, FMC!

speaking of men in full gear, there used to be a firemen's charity run. in full turnouts, tanks, and whatnot, they ran up 60 flights of stairs to raise money.

congrats! looking forward to the next race?

2:48 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

congrats!!! glad to hear you enjoyed yourself and am very impressed at your improved time... way to go!!

2:49 p.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

Cheers Penelope.
Daisy M. Fair play to them, hard work. I can wait for a while before I run again. Even walking to day is a bit of a chore. But I imagine I'll be at kickboxing on Friday.

3:16 p.m.  
Blogger John Mc said...

Well done! FMC. 18 shaggin' minutes that's brilliant! Isn't it amazing how the science works. You treat the sport with respect and train accordingly and results are guaranteed! I have a friend trying to convince me to do the NYC marathon, (not that I live here) you've inspired me. Enjoy your rest!

3:16 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bloody well done you, was thinking about you yesterday and wondered how you'd gotten on.

My advice? Tip lots of nice/expensive/organic/smelly stuff into a hot bath for the muscles and have a few large glasses of wine while you're at it.

I'm barely getting up the stairs at this stage, so I salute your uber-fitness. Hurrah lady!

3:34 p.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

Och poor old gal, surely you haven't long to go now?
JOhn, thanks. I imagine the New York Marathon would be an amazing experience and since you're as fit as a fiddle you'd be a brilliant competitor.

4:28 p.m.  
Blogger aquaasho said...

Congrats, congrats!! Really well done! I was watching out for ya but since I don't know what you look like that was difficult... ;-)

(I was in the baggage zone for number 3500 to 4000, no grey hat, just white).

Super achievement, have you got the next one planned already???

5:00 p.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

Phew! I wasn't sure whether to go up to that lady or not, I'm glad I didn't now.
I'm not planning anything at the moment Aisling, just trying to get both my legs to obey simple commands. Country Gay has expressed an interest in 09, so if he really wants to I'll train with him and do another, but at the moment I'm just happy to have run in yesterday's.

5:13 p.m.  
Blogger Ann said...

What was your time?

7:55 p.m.  
Blogger tina said...

wooohooo! you did it! well done. you're my hero. i nearly collapsed after running 8k today...

8:10 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well done Ms Cat. excellent improvement, enjoy your well earned rest

10:26 p.m.  
Blogger Kim Ayres said...

Well done FMC! I think I lost several pounds just thinking about it

11:45 p.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

Thanks so much folks. You're all very kind. It was a terrific day I must say- now that I can feel my legs again- I'm delighted with myself.
Ann, I won't reveal my time because it would be the same as my revealing my actual name here, and I like a certain amount of anoniminity. Suffice to say it wasn't that fast, but it was a good 18 minutes faster than last year.

12:03 a.m.  
Blogger laughykate said...

18 MINUTES FASTER??!!!!
You fucking legend!
Congratulations, FMC, well done, well earned and bloody well trained.

Now I'm off for a cup of tea and a lie down. Exhausted after reading that.

6:46 a.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

Thanks LK, no one was more surprised than me when I saw the result. It was worth all the ouch factor. Gimmie told me before the race that pain was optional, I think he was pulling my leg.

8:14 a.m.  
Blogger Pat said...

Sincere congratulations! Give yourself time to heal and rejoice in your feat. That's FEAT.

10:33 a.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

Thank you Pat, I'm feeling dandy, bit sore the day after but I'm tickity-boo now.

11:20 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home